Thursday, December 15, 2011

Inspiration. . .

What inspires designers to create?  Whether it's the the color scheme, the design of a rug, art work, the layout of the room, it all started somewhere.

I constantly find myself looking around, looking at color combinations that are just happening.  Not necessarily in what someone is wearing, but more like accidental combinations.  I've literally stopped my husband and pointed at these 2 dogs walking next to each other that were a rich chocolate brown and a deep blueish gray that I thought was a gorgeous color combo.

Lines and designs you see all around you or in magazines can give you the inspiration for a design on the side of a cabinet or the shape of a headboard.  Where the client lives, the geography, where they love to travel to, can create an inspiration for a theme, color scheme, designs all from one thing!!

It really is endless to what you can be inspired from and what the inspiration draws out of you to do.

These are some pictures that I've taken or found that really get my mind flowing about color schemes.  There's much more to a room, than color, but for a student who doesn't have a client to design a room for, it's pretty much where I have to start.  I've drawn out some colors from each image that I liked together, but obviously, there are many more colors to choose from!

The ocean has so many different blues, greens, browns


Cliffs, the ocean, the grass, boulders

These are similar to the dogs I've seen who's colors I really liked together

Right before sunset


Another accidental color combo.  My husbands sweatshirt with the greens of the moss and the browns and dark blues on the cloudy day in Monterey
I liked this painted piece of glass that I would love to put on a table, but after looking at it more, the brighter colors (yes, even the post-it note!) I think would look great in a light filled room

Not too many hidden colors here, but the colors of the corals are so vibrant (and I might be a little excited about a trip to Hawaii I'm taking in Jan)


This is an old photo of my father and aunts in the 70s or 80s.  I like the 'vintage' coloring on everything.



What inspires you?  Please share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment